After steep declines over the past six months, COVID-19 cases are once again rising due to the much more contagious Delta variant. What does that mean for area families with school slated to start back soon? We gathered physician experts and school officials to answer common questions about the virus, the vaccine and its use in children, as well as what kids and parents can expect to see in classrooms and extracurriculars starting in August. Our panelists included:
- Dr. Saima Hussain, Longstreet Clinic pediatrician
- Dr. Megan Farley, Longstreet Clinic pediatrician
- Dr. Supriya Mannepalli, Northeast Georgia Health System’s Medical Director for Infectious Disease
- Dr. Zachary Taylor, Georgia Department of Public Health’s District 2 Medical Director
- Andrea Williamson-English from Hall County School System representing both Hall County School System and Gainesville City Schools
- Scarlet Pendarvis from Lakeview Academy
The live panel discussion occurred on July 22, 2021, at 12:30 p.m. on Longstreet Clinic’s Facebook page. The discussion is available to watch on demand below.
For more information about COVID-19, including how to get the vaccine for free, click here.