Each type of weight loss surgery carries its own advantages and possible disadvantages. That’s why it’s important to discuss options with your doctor and your bariatric team to determine which solution is right for you.
Advantages of Gastric Bypass
Compared to other weight loss surgeries, gastric bypass offers:
- Greater overall weight loss due to the tighter dietary restrictions and less caloric absorption
- Faster initial weight loss
- Your body helps direct healthier food choices because of strong discomfort caused by eating sugars, fats and carbs
- 96% of health problems related to obesity are completely resolved or reversed quickly
Disadvantages of Gastric Bypass
- Permanent change in your anatomy
- Restricts dietary choice for the rest of your life
- Dumping syndrome from eating foods high in sugar, calories and fat causes discomfort, 20-30 minutes of nausea, and possibly vomiting, diarrhea, and overall weakness each time.