Candidates for weight loss surgery a Longstreet Clinic’s Center for Weight Management must meet certain criteria before a surgery date can be set. Here are some common requirements in order to qualify for weight loss surgery.
- No prior gastric bypass weight loss surgery. Patients who have had previous weight loss surgery must contact the clinical coordinator and may be accepted for revisional surgery on a case-by-case basis.
- No current evidence of alcohol or drug abuse or active eating disorder.
- No recent history of steroid therapy (such as prednisone) or have Systemic Lupus Erythematosis (SLE), rheumatoid arthritis, or other collagen vascular disease.
- Complete a thorough physical exam with their primary care physician and gained their support for the surgery.
- Undergo a psychological evaluation with our approved psychologist, which includes an individual consultation with a psychotherapist and certain psychological tests. All potential weight loss surgery candidates must comply with any further treatment deemed necessary by the therapist.
- Complete our application package and provided any additional needed paperwork.
- Understand that additional pre- or post-operative tests may be requested to insure optimal outcome, such as a sleep study.
- Meet with the dietician to discuss post-operative diet.
- Have a stable family structure or support system in place with written documentation of that support.
- Pass a written exam using the educational materials provided.
- Write a letter of understanding to show your knowledge of the possible risks and benefits of weight loss surgery, as well as understanding of the life-long dietary changes and lifestyle changes necessary to achieve long-term success.
- Sign a written commitment to maintain long-term follow-up after weight loss surgery.
Don’t hesitate to contact our expert bariatric team with additional questions. For additional information about insurance coverage, click here.