All surgical procedures have risks, and they are real. The risk of complications following this surgery is similar to the risks following any major surgery on your digestive tract. Morbidly obese patients face added risks because of their body size.
The complications of gastric sleeve surgery are much less severe than those of intestinal bypass surgeries and are usually easily handled by a competent medical staff and patient compliance.
- Gastric/Esophageal Perforation
- Nausea and vomiting
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Stoma obstruction
- Esophageal dilatation or dysmotility
- Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
- Blood Clots/ Pulmonary embolism
- Injury to stomach or spleen
For more information about gastric sleeve surgery, click here.